Yukoner Mara Roldan starts the season with her UCI Continental road team
Named as the 2023 National/Territorial Female Athlete of the Year, Yukon cyclist Mara Roldan has signed another contract with Cynisca Cycling, a USA-based UCI Continental road team. This means that Mara will spend her 2024 season racing in the USA and Europe.
Mara is the first Yukoner to sign a professional cycling contract since Zach Bell, and the first ever Yukon woman to achieve this milestone.
In 2023, Mara also had a contract with Cynisca Cycling and proceeded to have an excellent season, including these and other achievements:
- 1st place - BC Road Cycling Provincial Championships Elite Women, U23
- 1st place - Thunderbird Circuit Race, Cat 1/2 Women
- 6th place - Gastown Grand Prix Crit, Elite Women
- 2nd place - Concord Crit Vancouver, Elite Women
- 2nd place - Hardwood Hills Canada Cup XCO Short Track, Elite Women
- 1st place - Shims Crit, Women B
Mara also won a Premier’s Award of Sport Excellence award for her win at the 2023 BC Road Cycling Provincial Championships, as well as National/Territorial Female Athlete of the Year.
For 2024, Mara will be racing at the Redlands Classic and Tour de Gila before heading to France for the Tour de Bretagne and other events. She will return to Quebec for the Canadian Road Championships in June, then return to Europe from July to October. Mara's goal is to represent Canada at the Tour de l'Avenir and the World Championships.
The Yukon is very proud of Mara. Her determination, positive outlook, work ethic and passion for cycling inspires us all.