HopOn kids cycling program
Last update: May 7, 2021
The program is being rolled out across the country, including here in Yukon.
Who is HopOn for?
If your child can ride a 2-wheel bike for 60 pedal strokes without stopping, they are ready for HopOn. Their bike also needs to have working hand brakes and gears. They need a helmet.
At this time, Cycling Association of Yukon is starting with HopOn for kids aged 6 to 8 years old. Later on, we will offer HopOn to older kids who want to develop intermediate and advanced level skills.
What skills will your child learn with HopOn?
- Starting and braking;
- Straight-line riding;
- Scanning and signalling;
- Turning at different speeds;
- Positioning and wheel lifts;
- Dismounting and remounting;
- Bumping and buzzing;
- Gearing and cadence;
- Climbing and descending; and
- Riding off a drop-off.
Our instructors will tailor the focus of each session to the age and ability levels of students. Our sessions are conducted within the safe confines of a traffic-free environment.
How to register for HopOn in Yukon
- Cost is $50 for 6 weeks by trained HopOn instructors. This covers insurance and resources to operate the program.
- If your child already has a CAY membership, the program cost is $20.
- Our sessions run once per week on Wednesdays from 6 to 7 p.m. Please arrive early and ready to ride by 5:45 p.m.
- We start on Wednesday, May 19 and finish on Wednesday, June 23, 2021.
- Location is Whitehorse, at the Department of Education building, 1000 Lewes Blvd. Meet us in the parking lot.
There will be 24 spots available.
Your child must be 6 to 8 years old.